Monday, October 16, 2006

Wheel house continued.....


Well, some more progress this past weekend, not as much as should have been for two reasons.. 1) My enthusiasm for the build is starting to wane, and

2)The weather was so fine, I took advantage and gave my shed /workshop a coat of Cuprinol, to prepare her for the winter season.

Anyway, I continued for many hours on this wheelhouse effort.. and effort is what it is.. It is again clad in these awful veneers and trimmed with spruce.. as is usual ( like Frank says) " I did it my way" and here is the result. I used all my remaining stock of mahogany planks, trim and lemon strips..

I made a decision early on to refit all the roof material in white, as I feel it contrasts nicely with the timber /veneers used.

The following is the stern view, showing all 3 cabins with white roof material.

The brass portholes are now fitted in situ.. I was worried about this, given that one has to drill through this veneer stuff. I found a 14mm flat woodwork bit to be the nearest suitable size, then finish with a round file or a dowel and glasspaper.


Steve