Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cabins

Work has started on the 3 superstructure elements.
Starting with the fore cabin.. The magnet spacer parts are fitted.. these are the "attractors" to the powerful magnet already fitted into the forward hatch cover. Very clever, and works a treat.

Hmm .. the veneer for the roofing , now supplied in Robbe Atlantis kits , is I am afraid, not to my liking.. I much prefer the original Tiama plank version. The later kits, ( like mine) has a striped veneer.. that , personally I don' t care for.

I have been thinking of alternatives.. and decided on one of two.. either full planking with Lemonwood, or using plasticard , as the centre cabin does in the kit.

I did in fact plank fully with lemonwood.. but after a nights sleep, I decided I didn't like it..

So following a prototype schooner... ( not the Atlantis as its semi scale) I have decided to use plasticard.

Why ? 2 reasons..

Firstly, the veneers , are very, very fragile.. just handling them can cause the veneer to part with the ply, or chip when cutting or sanding.. and looks awful.

Secondly, I have decided, my Robbe Atlantis will NOT be like a regular kit built Atlantis.. I shall complete the build , to my spec, and my liking .. !

Well, it is MY Model :)

Loosely, and only cosmetically my Atlantis is inspired by this , Dirigo II