Friday, October 06, 2006

Centre Cabin

Work has started on the Centre main cabin..

This is the basic, structure, a vac moulding that requires trimming to the deck camber, the kit supplies the white abs roof which is contact glued in position





After a weeks work on this, I am not totally happy with the result..

The veneers really are difficult to work... very brittle and despite careful handling, any cutting or sanding to the edges and the veneer splinters..

I have come close to abandoning the project.. with frustration..

I think I need to take a break from it... &.. revisit with fresh eyes... The finish hides a multitude of sins, that I may or may not be happy with.. time will tell. there is chance it may be ripped off and re-started.. dunno yet But a break is whats needed, I am sure.

I am not a "woody modeller".. I think I lack the patience to get the finish I'd like. I admit, I do have difficulty working with wood, I much prefer plastic.. which I can work more easily and "repair" too...

Here is the progress thus far... it could change & be back to the drawing board..

Essentially, the moulding is "cladded" with various veneer parts and spruce strips that are cut to size, and then require extensive sanding ! As previously stated , I don't much care for the supplied "Stripey" veneer.

So I made the decision to use some of my spare Lemonwood Gerona, ( from Keith Jewell), this is the main timber on deck.Here they are, roughly cut and laid in position.