Sunday, April 30, 2006

Dinghy


Continued work on the Atlantis dinghy, what a lovely little model this is...... I still have reservations about the veneer quality..... the sheet for the dinghy is particularly brittle and very thin.

The model has taken around a day to complete..... probably 8 hours or so..... I still need to paint the exterior of the hull...... but am pleased with the result.

I will have to think about using another cyanocrylate adhesive, the one I currently use, doesnt bond the veneers very well...... I ended up using a contact type glue.

My personal view is the gunwale fender supplied by Robbe appears over scale, so I have used some finer material to top off the hull.

I also feel , that in reality the dinghy would be in regular use, so I have slightly weathered the interior, as I shall do also to the extrior , when painted.

Added a few details and the end result is what you see here......

Oh, and finally, following advice from a German modeller, his experience has shown, that when sailing in higher winds, his dinghy on the deck, always returned to shore with it full of water !

He recommended I drill some drainage holes in the dinghy hull, to allow water to drain away.