Thursday, November 03, 2005

All Engines Stop / Diversion Ahead

While awaiting delivery of my deck planking, I have been sitting in my workshop pondering, the next move, as one does.

I have decided...... that this here Atlantis, is too BIG for my little workshop...... But don't panic !

I am currently seeking a much bigger workshop, that will increase the size 3 fold.


To all those would be Atlantis owners beware !!


You need a big BIG space to build this boat...

The new space will also allow me to pursue my small Swiss model railway project at the same time.... there is just not enough room in my present workshop, to combine both my hobby interests.

Apart from which, actually laying the deck planks will be nigh on impossible as access to both port and starboard sides of the hull is required.

Otherwise, (as there are around 240 planksto lay) I would have to handle /rotate the boat around 500 times !

Had I thought of this, I would have added that heavy cast iron ballast AFTER the deck had been laid ! Makes sense doesn't it !

Also, placing the boat in the centre of your workspace on a Tv turntable , would be an ideal way of working on both sides, alternately. Simply rotate the boat after laying each plank.

So for the next few months, there will be little progress on the Atlantis, as the planning and logistics need sorting for her new larger home.....

By the time this "new" project is complete, I will be ready to continue the Atlantis build in space and comfort..

As Arnie says........ " I'll be back !"