Monday, October 17, 2005

Samples Arrived

Well, true to his word, Keith at Modelling Timbers, delivered, my samples of Lemon wood and Honduran Mahogany. ( thanks Keith :)

The quality of these timbers & machining is truly excellent..... I regret to say, having seen these, the Robbe planks are destined for the scraps box or paint stirrers !

These two woods are simply fantastic quality.

Above shows from front to back, robbe kit planks, Lemonwood, Honduran Mahogany, all in their natural state.

Cutting & gluing them to plasticard with long edges "marked", after one sanding operation and one coat of robbe wood wax, they look like this.......


Now, I have the dilemma, both are such lovely timbers, I don't know which I prefer !

I am also experimenting further with the caulking method, as advised by Keith at Modelling Timbers, now I have 200 of robbe planks to play with ! (Sorry Robbe!)

Once I make my decision, I shall place my order with Keith.... a small straw poll among my pals, shows their favourite is the Honduran Mahogany, which does have a warm feeling in its colour! !


Watch this space for my final decision and progress !