Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Booms

Boom preparation is quite straight forward, though I still managed to drill a couple of holes not quite vertically :(

Another thing to watch for is, damage to the aluminium finish when clamping them in the vice for drilling, I thought I had adequately protected them... but sadly they are now marked..SO I may consider rubbing them down and repainting.




The wire bending on two of the booms is made using 1:1 drawings and the 2mm supplied brass rod..

You will find, that the rod is too thick to fit through the swivels that are attached to the booms. I had to drill out the centre to 2.2mm to accept the brass rod.

Similarly, the tops of these fittings are bent over.. however, again you will find the brass rod too wide to fit within the groove of the booms. The only resolution.. here is to open up that groove and file.

This picture from Taylor , shows how its done. ( Thanks Taylor :)