Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Obvious

Is sometimes, under ones nose, and we cannot see it !!
Yesterday, I hunted, high and low thro the parts bag for some tiny csk screws, with which to attach the bulwarks, temporarily..

They didnt quite match the description in the parts.... so I asked a few aquaintances, who have built / or are building the same Robbe Atlantis Schooner.

It seems, I had selected the right ones for the job. Tiny slot head csk screws.

Then Colin H, suggested I spend a couple of hours "sorting" all the remaining hardware, into the relevant sections of the build, re-package and number them !!

SO OBVIOUS........... I DIDN'T SEE IT !!

So for a couple of hours today, thats what I did.... simply plough through the parts list , referring to the plan..... and sort em !!

Good job I did too..... I have found several small parts missing from the kit..... ringscrews, washers, nuts etc.. 8 pieces in total.. but all essential for the build.

Needless to say.. I have emailed Robbe, with the discrepencies.. and am confident they will make good the problem.

Quite honestly, I am not suprised, this Robbe Atlantis is a huge kit, with hundreds of parts... and is quite an old kit.....as all the parts are simply inside multiple plastic bags, that are not numbered in anyway ( unlike recent /current Robbe kits) The bags do not specifically relate to a building stage.. parts ARE mixed.

I would advise ANYONE who gets a kit, to do this "sorting" excercise... BEFORE you start the BUILD !!

Thanks for the tip Colin :)

Colin also informed me, that I would find numerous discrepencies in the parts, again he was correct.. many items are listed as steel, but the parts are brass...... and indeed vice -versa. Certainly adds to the challenge Robbe !

Of particular note, is the anchor 22.13 ..... quoted as brass.... but its plastic !