Saturday, May 20, 2006

Third Coat

Today saw the third coat of Tung Oil massaged onto the deck timbers of my Robbe Atlantis. This is the first undiluted coat, it is much thicker than the previous two layers, which were diluted with 50% white spirit.

As per the instructions, the oil was left to soak in for 15 minutes..... before the excess was wiped off with a clean cloth.
(This part is important, as if it were left, it would become sticky and prevent further penetration into the wood )




I have also made a start on the bulwarks.... oh what fun they are !!

Remember...... ( I Didn't !! ) there is a left and right....... side to trim to the 45 degree bow angle... Fortunately.. there is enough length to allow one c*ck up ! :)

Perseverence is required to get those bow parts to meet with a sharp point. Similarly the scuppers /washports are a challenge...

I have been asked, "Would I use the same method for caulking again" ? My answer is YES...... but...... on the ends, I would use a hard graphite pencil..... the ink on a few of the planks on my model have bled a little.. though.... I don't feel they are too intrusive on my Robbe Atlantis Schooner.

Indeed, I am very happy with the overall result.... and its only me that has to be pleased with it !

:)

Here's a close up of the deck, showing how the Tung Oil treatment has brought the fine grain to the surface of both varieties of wood... It has a lovely "glow".. and there is still more oil to go on yet !